Saturday, January 22, 2011

The story behind the name

Braelyn loves to give Layna hugs and kisses. She is doing a great job as a big sister.

Layna enjoying the car ride home.

Getting ready to leave the hospital and head home. Very cold and snowy outside.



I wasn't sure if I would ever be writing this blog.....about a name for our baby girl, a name that I liked and was excited about. But, Praise the Lord, God provided a name for her, in His perfect timing and we are so happy about it. I think finding a name for her was the hardest part of being pregnant.

So, before we had Braelyn I had decided that I would like for our children to have a "spiritual" name and a "family" name. When I started thinking and praying about a name for this baby girl, I kept thinking of the verse, Matthew 5:16, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify our Father in heaven." I started looking up names that meant "light", but didn't really find anything I was excited about. Finally, one night I was thinking about the name Alayna, which I knew meant light, but I wasn't crazy about it. That night before we went to bed (Aaron was half asleep already)....I told him the name Layna Aleese, but we didn't talk about it. The next day I looked it up to see what it meant, I was just hoping that Layna would mean light since Alayna does. When I looked it up online, I couldn't believe it.....it means "light and truth"!!! I had also been looking at names that meant "truth", since I couldn't find any that meant light. I called Aaron who was working and told him how excited I was.

I love the name Layna because it is simple, but not common. I think it sounds sweet and beautiful and, of course, I love it's meaning. We pray that God will use Layna's life as a light for Him and that she would know the truth of God's word and share it with those around her.

After we decided the first name, I knew I wanted her middle name to be after my Mom, who is Mary Alice. I had a few different names I was considering, but finally decided on Aleese, which is similar to Alice. I chose this spelling because my middle name is Lee and Braelyn's middle name is Evangelee. So now, both my daughters have "lee" in their middle names too. I didn't plan on this, it just worked out that way.

And that is why we chose the name Layna Aleese Jones! I have some more cute pics of her smiling that I took the other day, just need to get them on the computer. She is sleeping and eating well. And she is starting to sleep a little longer at night. Thank you for all your prayers.

2 comments:

Jessi said...

I just love reading the stories behind why mommies and daddies choose the names they do for their babies. Of course, I do love your new baby girl's name...I had no idea Alayna meant light (good to know). hehe.

Yay for big sisters! We just love watching our little Alayna interact with her lil' sister, Hannah.

Anonymous said...

You are so amazing. You look wonderful and motherhood suits you. I love the story of Layna's name. Im not sure if you have the story of Braelyn name on here too. I would love to hear it. I hope all continues to go well. thanks for the pictures and updates.

Megan Galan