Tuesday, January 04, 2011

New Year's Sermon Challenge

I just wanted to post some points from our pastor's sermon last Sunday. I felt like it was very straightforward, powerful, and convicting. I pray that God will use this to challenge you and make you reevaluate maybe what type of goals/priorities you have set for this new year.

How to Set Your Priorities for LIFE
What is the first commandment? "You shall have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:3
-The principle: God gets FIRST place in my life.
Definition of a "god": ANYTHING or ANYONE that has first place in my life.

Insight #1: The key to freedom is to choose the right master. (Matt 6:24)

-The promise: "Seek FIRST God's kingdom and his righteousness, and ALL THESE THINGS will be given to you as well." Matt 6:33

Insight #2: If there is worry in our life something else or someone else has taken FIRST PLACE.
-The procedure: How can I make God the number one priority in my life? I must know what God expects. (Colossians 1:18)

Where does God want to have first place in my life?
F- Finances....it all belongs to Him, evaluate our giving, spending, acknowledging His ownership
I- Interests.....are you interested in the things of God
R- Relationships......are your relationships Christ centered and God glorifying
S- Schedule.....does God get the best of your time, or does He get the leftovers, evaluate where you are spending the most of your time, are you available?
T- Troubles....we should cry out to God FIRST in our troubles, trusting Him to care for us, shows our dependence on Him

Insight #3: When you and I forget what we started with(which is nothing), we tend to push God aside and something else or someone else takes FIRST PLACE.

Insight #4: The key to setting goals is to obey the RIGHT MASTER. (Luke 6:46)

My purpose in life is to glorify God by SEEKING Him with my whole heart and building my goals around HIS priorities.

What are 5 key areas in setting goals for my life?
Spiritual Goals
Personal Goals
Family Goals
Practical Goals
Vocational Goals

Commitment Prayer: By faith, I desire to choose to obey the right master: The Lord Jesus Christ. I surrender my life completely to His Lordship. By the grace of God and the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit I desire to give God FIRST PLACE in these areas of my life.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Love this! I just listened to John Piper from Passion this week and he was talking about the same thing. At first I didn't get what he was saying and he honestly repeated the same thing for about 15 minutes and it was like - boom! The Holy Spirit showed me (I was trying to complicate what it was)- to put God at the bottom, the foundation. Good stuff! Thanks! Oh, here are all the Passion speakers: http://www.benterry.com/category/benterry/passion-2011/

I know you'll enjoy them. Sonya - Beth Moore's is really great. She talks about renewing our minds. Very good.

Love you all - sorry for the super long post :)