Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Who is an overcomer?

ok, so I wanted to share how God encouraged me this past Tuesday at bible study. The study was focused on 1 John 5. Here are verses 4 and 5

"For whatever is born of God overcomes(present tense, which means "continuously overcomes", it's an ongoing action) the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith."

There is so much good stuff, but honestly I can't convey it all on this blog. Kay Arthur taught us that the word for "overcomes" in that verse is the word "nikao" which means "to rule over, subdue, CONQUER". It is also what Nike shoes comes from, just a side note. So here is the SUPER EXCITING thing that just really sank in and stuck with me in a real way.......if you are a child of God then you are an OVERCOMER!! You can't not be an overcomer, bc God's children by definition are overcomers, bc we have Christ in us. And Christ is our greatest example of overcoming.
In John 16:33 Jesus says to his disciples, before his crucifixion "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world." This is the first mention of the word "overcome".
Kay Arthur also reminded us that this doesn't mean that 100% of the time you are victorious in life, but as a pattern or habit of your life, you live in victory. I have been struggling lately with different things, and honestly, have really not felt like an overcomer. But this message was just so encouraging to me.....to know that being an overcomer is not something I choose, it is WHO I AM IN CHRIST!! Yes, I have to choose to believe this and set my mind on it, when Satan tries to get me down, but it will ALWAYS be true of me and of you, if you are a believer. I hope this realization sticks with me until I see Jesus face to face. I pray that God will use this to encourage someone else who might be struggling.
I am so thankful that we serve a RISEN Savior! One of the girls at my AWANA group last week had never heard that Jesus rose from the grave! What a privilege it was to share with her that awesome/exciting news. Hope you all enjoy celebrating our risen Savior this Easter weekend and all year long.

No comments: